|Happy Valentine's Day, Farmer Style!|
My phone rang at 6:30am the other day. Sure, during the summer I'm up at that hour trying to beat the heat. But it's still cold outside and I am just emerging from hibernation. I was not happy to hear the phone ring but I was happy I answered it. It was a local tree trimming business asking if I was still interested in wood chips and could they drop them off... now? I live 20 minutes from the farm and begged them to wait for me to get there. I threw on yesterdays work clothes and was off. They did wait and I got a free load of fresh wood chips. Score! These will make great mulch for the orchard trees, grapes and berries.
Last week I collected soil samples from the fields and the orchard. I will send them off to a lab and compare the results with the soil tests from three years ago when EatWell bought the farm. I am hoping to see increases in Soil Organic Matter, Cation Exchange Capacity (a measure of how well the soil can hold nutrients where they are available for the plants) and a stabilization of pH. Our soil was slightly acidic which we hope to have made some correction by adding lime.
|Digging out soil Samples|
To get a representative sample you dig out a little bit from 15-20 different spots randomly though out the field. You then mix all of that together and let the soil dry, mix some more and fill a sample bag with spoonfuls of that mixture.
|That clay is about 8" under our rich top soil|
|Samples bagged and ready to mail|
All those seed catalogues and crop planning finally led to me placing a seed order and the seeds started arriving within days. It's amazing how you plan so long for something and as soon as you pull the trigger things start to cascade into place.
|Johnny's was our biggest order and first to arrive|
|Followed closely by Southern Exposure (on both fronts)|
|Seed Saver's Exchange always includes a|
free packet of seeds. This one is a cantaloup
|Baker Creek came with a flier for a new movie. I love this Quote.|
Starting Seeds Under Grow Lights
Greenhouse construction has fallen behind due to weather and other conditions. In the meantime my planting schedule had me starting the first round of Leeks, Broccoli and Kale on February 18th. Luckily I had some spare 8' Fluorescent lights from a home improvement project and was able to fashion some grow lights without spending any money.
Gayle came out to help build a few things in my garage this week. We took two 8' long fluorescent lights and mounted them side by side on a piece of plywood. We then wired them together and added a plug. The lights did not come with reflectors so we covered the plywood with heavy duty aluminum foil. We made two of these units.
We then hung one from the ceiling in the cool room and one under the top shelf to have two shelves to grow on. The cool room is not cool right now. It is just a very well insulated room so I have a space heater in it, set on low which is keeping the temp around 70 degrees F. Once the greenhouse is complete these trays and the heater will move out to it.
|Small Soil Blocks|
Now that we have somewhere to grow its time to start some seeds. We used two different methods. We needed to start 300 leeks and Gayle wanted to try out her new soil blocker so we did those with the small soil block press. Gayle mixed up a special combination of ingredients just for the small soil blocker and it worked great. She used the recipe from Elliot Coleman's book The New Organic Grower. It seems that the key is to get the moisture level right and practice, practice, practice. We were able to fit 300 of these in one tray which was really valuable since we are starting under a very limited space with only 16' of grow lights.
For the Broccoli and Kale I created a more basic seed starting mix using 4 parts screened compost, 2 parts Sphagnum Peat Moss, 1 part Perlite and 1 part Vermiculite. All components were organic. I used 72 cell trays.
|The weather was perfectly tolerable. Sunny and Cool|
And here is our first round of seeds tucked away warm and moist in their trays, under grow lights in the warm "cool room".
Some progress was made on the greenhouse this week and I hope to post pictures of a completed greenhouse next week. Fingers crossed.
The 12' width of the greenhouse is on a slope that loses 2' over that distance so we have decided to build it into the ground. On the left you see a deep trench. That will be built up with 6x6 lumber and the soil dug out will level the ground inside the house.
|Greenhouse site prep|
We also spent some time in the garage constructing the remaining tables for the Greenhouse. Here's Gayle working on a 4'x5' table for the center. It will also be covered with wire shelving like the long tables from the last post which will run along the side of the house.
After the Greenhouse is up and running we will put together the High Tunnel kit we got from Nolt's Produce Supplies. This is the 30' Wide by 72' long tunnel that we got the NRCS Grant for. I have been studying the instructions and was lucky enough to come across one under construction. I stopped by a local nursery, Shelby's Wholesale Plants, to pick up compost and trays for seed starting and we realized we had ordered the same high tunnel kit from the same supplier. They already have the frame up and an end wall built. So, this is what we are aiming for...
Puddy is not a huge fan of the snow. She is a Georgia dog for sure. Still, she's pretty cute stepping timidly through the strange cold slush, especially since she is so easy to spot in it.
|Here is what she is more fond of doing|
when it is cold outside
|Not too sure about these strange holes in the ground...|