email

Question for the farmer? Email esporch@yahoo.com

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

EatWell Natural Farm Week 10

This week's post is going to be abbreviated because it is already late and if I wait any longer it will be time for next week's already. So here you go. A week in pictures.

Let's start with a little time lapse. Here is the main field right after I tilled it and what it looks like now. What a difference a couple of months make.





Harvest

The big story this week was Strawberries. I harvested and delivered 100lbs of Strawberries. 


Rhubarb

33lbs of Strawberries

Red Sails Lettuce

Mustard Greens, Kale, Spinach, Choi, Arugula

Pac Choi

More Strawberries

Still More Strawberries

Production and Distribution

My wash station up until this week has been an improvised combination of buckets and bins.

Double washing Mustard Greens


But this weekend David and I built an outdoor washing table which will be great for all kinds of roots, anything durable and big. Inside David put together a few sinks and a washing machine that I can use to spin water off of greens. He even did the plumbing. The stable is slowly becoming a real packing house. 

David tacking down the mesh

Finished wash table

Cultivation and Maintenance







I transplanted the last of our tomato seedlings this week and covered the smallest ones to give them a chance to get bigger before the flea beetles find them. This is agribond floating row cover. It allows light and water to get through but keeps out the creepy crawlies.







Compost pile is getting bigger




Planting

We had a little mix up with our last delivery of tomato seedlings and they ended up sitting in a box inside the postoffice for a week. Once we realized they were there I went to get them, fully expecting them to be dead. Well, they were alive. They had gotten quite leggy but were decidedly green and not dead. So, I planted them along with a few more that I bought from a neighboring farmer at Radix Farm.

Tomato and Tomatillo seedlings
Seeded bed
I also direct seeded a bed of lettuce and arugula with the four point seeder and the help of my friend and all star volunteer, Kathy.



















Eating Well

Strawberry, Watermelon, Feta and Mint Salad-Grillfish













Bread Pudding with a Strawberry Sauce at Logan Tavern




Grillfish featuring Hakurei turnips and radishes with crab




Spinach and Strawberry Salad at Logan Tavern

The Pig's take on Kale topped with Sardines

Strawberry and goat cheese salad with pea tendrils, The Pig

Puddy Time



Wet Dog

Puddy is really into the Strawberries




And now for something Completely Different


I attended the March against Monsanto last Saturday. We met in front of the White House and marched to Monsanto's Office building where they run their lobbying from. Here are a few pictures and a link to some coverage including an interview I gave. 





If you watched the video you may have noticed the misspelling. I blame Lane. Here he is, eating Face Bacon from the pig.

"I don't know how to spell 'Afraid' but I like Bacon"


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback! Let me know what you liked about this entry or what you want to hear more about. Tell me what you're growing in your garden and which veggies you love the most. Anything goes!