email

Question for the farmer? Email esporch@yahoo.com

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

EatWell Natural Farm Week 14

Happy Summer!!!
 I was on vacation last week in Florida but I'm back! I've been running ever since to try and catch up, hence the late and short blog post. Enjoy!


Harvest

While I was away the Squash and Zucchini really came on. Here's what happens if you don't harvest Zucchini every other day.... 





Cucumbers are also in and pair perfectly with this sweet thai basil.

The farm hosted a meeting of senior staff at EatWell DC. A few of them helped me harvest peas and carrots.





Chioggia Guardsmark Beets

Yellow Crookneck Squash and 2 types of Zucchini


Green Beans

Sage, Mint, Dill, Thyme, Oregano






Production and Distribution

Restaurant deliveries were abundant and beautiful.
Logan Tavern

Grillfish Delivery
Happy Chef










Happy Farmer








My first Mesclun. I had to thin out some plantings of Romaine, Red Sails Lettuce and Raddichio so I cut it all into small leaves, mixed and triple washed to make a lovely salad mix.









Cultivation and Maintenance

Apart from the weeds having taken off while I was away, I had a few fires to put out when I got back. My apple trees have what appears to be Cedar-Apple rust and the tomatoes may have bacterial spot. I treated tried to diagnose and treat each problem. Fingers crossed. 
Cedar Apple Rust, I think





Pepper Plants before wheel-hoeing


Pepper Plants after, much better :)
Massive Spider in my space


I caught it and threw it in the woods


Planting


Nope. I need to get to that this week. Can you believe it's time to start fall plantings already? Where is this year going?


Eating Well

Two of our chefs came out to the farm and prepared lunch for the senior meeting. The topic of the meeting was the importance of local food. I love that EatWell is taking the time to educate their staff on why the farm matters and why they invest in other local farmers too. 
The big bowl was an amazing farm salad, harvested that day


Senior staff Eating Well
They worked up an appetite 

Grillfish Entree with our baby beets and carrots





Puddy Time

Puddy had a little run in with a wild turkey this week. Puddy thought she was fascinating.  The turkey however was a mom with several babies and proceeded to make such a racket I ran to see what was going on. Luckily Puddy had the good sense to get scared and run away. My money was on momma turkey. 

The ticks have been out of control this week. I'm trying a home made tick repellant now with Geranium and Citronella essential oils. 25 drops of oil in 1/4 cup water. I put a little bit on Puddy's collar and also some on my boots. We'll see how that goes. In the meantime, she's still stinkin' cute...











No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback! Let me know what you liked about this entry or what you want to hear more about. Tell me what you're growing in your garden and which veggies you love the most. Anything goes!