email

Question for the farmer? Email esporch@yahoo.com

Sunday, August 18, 2013

EatWell Natural Farm Week 22

What a lovely week it has been. We had an early preview of fall weather with a few days that started in the 50s and stayed below 80 with low humidity. We should be back into the upper 80s by mid week but it was nice while it lasted. 

Harvest

In the harvest bins this week: Arugula, Chard, Tomatoes, Cherry Tomatoes, Squash, the last of the Zucchini and Cucumbers, Green Beans, Butter Beans, Peppers, Fennel, Mint, Basil, and Choi.

The thing about harvesting melons is, it's hard. Each variety has it's own tells on when it is ripe. I cut open this Snow Leopard Honey Dew and it was 70% ripe but could have used a few more days. Hopefully a few melons will be ready next week.

Tomato Harvest with Andrew
Butter beans- we cut the plants and have to pick off all the pods


Gayle harvesting Arugula, cut and come again


Sweet Frying Peppers, we harvest them
once they turn red



Production and Distribution

Double washing Arugula

Arugula-Bagging and Drying

Music and Flowers make washing and packing more pleasant


Friday's delivery to The Pig


Cultivation and Maintenance

I have a new practice with the Arugula. I didn't do it during the spring but right now I am growing it under row cover and the result it incredible. No bugs have gotten in to chew tiny holes and leave scars. This is some of the prettiest Arugula I have seen. I'm quite proud







The gate to the lower field pulled out of its post and had to be re hung. I often find myself using the skills I learned in my high school stage craft classes on the farm. Thanks Mrs Archard and Mr K. I was also reminded of a poem I wrote in Mr LaMore's class...
So much 
depends upon

an eight inch
crescent wrench

tied with
black line

hanging
at my hip



Planting

No actual planting this week, just lots of care for the seedlings and the seeds that were started last week. I also pulled out a few more summer crops and prepped some beds to transplant and seed more crops next week. 

Eating Well

Summer Salad at Logan Tavern featuring our Cherry Tomatoes

I made an amazing pesto this week using our Purple Basil and Pistachios. It came out incredibly rich and creamy. It's a whole different experience if you are used to pine nuts in your pesto.
  • 2 Cups loosely packed Basil
  • 1/2 Cup grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1/3 Cup Pistachios shelled
  • 2 medium Garlic Cloves
  • 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
  • Salt and Pepper to taste


In a food processor combine basil, Parmesan cheese, pistachios, and garlic cloves. Pulse until roughly chopped and then slowly adding olive oil until it resembles a thick paste. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
















Puddy Time



Chillin our maxin relaxin




Trying to catch something in the mint

Eyeballs deep in the mint. What do you see in there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback! Let me know what you liked about this entry or what you want to hear more about. Tell me what you're growing in your garden and which veggies you love the most. Anything goes!