email

Question for the farmer? Email esporch@yahoo.com

Monday, August 26, 2013

EatWell Natural Farm Week 23

Well, that hint of fall weather last week sure was nice but summer came back strong this week. There were some bright sun shiny days with temps back in the low 90s. Maybe it was the heat but I did a horrible job of taking pictures this week. In particular, I had two awesome volunteers on Thursday, Kara and Sarah. They both teach 5th grade in Arlington and believe in good food. They saw the truck making deliveries one day and found me through the website. On Thursday they arrived at 7:30 and worked with Gayle and I all day to do all the harvesting for Friday's delivery. I sent them home with goodie bags of fresh food and they actually said they would come back! Thanks Kara and Sarah! You ladies rock!

Harvest

Summer harvests are slowing still and a few of the fall crops are coming in slow. I have a list of notes for myself to plant more summer successions and start more fall crops sooner. Timing is so important in farming and I feel like I don't quite have the hang of it yet. This little guy sums up how I feel about this week's harvest:
Meh...

In the harvest bins this week: Tomatoes, Cherry Tomatoes, Arugula (so pretty!), Chard, Squash, lot of Peppers, Green Beans, Baby Beets (the first for the fall), Baby Carrots, Basil, Fennel, Red Leaf Lettuce, Baby Choi, Purslane.

Production and Distribution


Peppers, Green Beans, Squash, Carrots, Basil, Arugula,  and Beets delivered to Grillfish


Cultivation and Maintenance

Here is a little Tomato Hornworm montage for you....
Ready for his close-up
Removed from the tomato plants where he was up to no good


This guy hitched a ride on my sleeve
and made it this far before I saw him

My favorite kind of Hornworm, one that is being eaten by
predator wasp larvae.




The winter squash are coming along....

Baby Pumpkin
Baby Butternut
 Sunday Lane and I went to Lowes to pick up about 2 tons of Organic Composted Manure...








Composting

Planting

I did a lot of planting this week and didn't manage to get pictures of any of it. Here are some Egyptian Walking Onion Sets, gifts from Chef Del's Nona...



And all of these transplants went in the ground... Broccoli, Lacinato Kale, Brussel Sprouts, Endive, Red and Green Cabbage. 
This is the Broccoli a week ago, it was much bigger going in


Eating Well


Purslane

Have you heard of Purslane the Wonder Weed? We call it a weed only because it is growing prolifically uninvited. For a while I was pulling it out like all my weeds, just getting it out of the way of the plants I want growing. However, Purslane is quite the stylish garnish right now. It has three times the Omega 3 as Spinach and has stems rich in vitamin C. On top of that it is just plain yummy. The thick red stems and green wedge shaped leaves are succulent and have a peppery flavor. Read more about power-packed Purslane at Mother Earth News.

Our new Chef at Logan Tavern is really excited about the Purslane and used it in this Salmon Dish. You can follow Chef Delian DePietro  on Twitter @deliandipietro and @logantavern
Salmon Garnished with Purslane at Logan Tavern.


Puddy Time

Since I was so lame at taking pictures this week Puddy Time is a scavenger hunt. Go back through all the pictures above and if you find her leave a comment below. Good luck! I promise extra cute puppy pics next week.  (Sorry, Dad)

What I do have is a photo of a huge flock of wild Turkeys in our lower field. When I tried to get closer they ran off into the woods so this is as good a pic as I could get. there were maybe 6 adults and 20 babies. It was so sweet, like a little Turkey nursery. 






1 comment:

  1. Found her (twice!), but don't want to spoil it for others. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback! Let me know what you liked about this entry or what you want to hear more about. Tell me what you're growing in your garden and which veggies you love the most. Anything goes!