email

Question for the farmer? Email esporch@yahoo.com

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

EatWell Natural Farm Week 24

Wow. 24 Weeks. That's 6 months. It's hard to believe I have been in Maryland that long. Time flies when you're living the dream. Summer is certainly winding down and there has been a hint of fall on the breeze. There are still hot, humid, hazy days, and there will be a few more I'm sure, but there is the promise of cooler dryer air and it occasionally whispers softly at the back of my neck promising some relief.
While it is more pleasant to work in the fall than the summer I am already noticing production slow slightly on a few hardy crops. The Chard, which I harvest relentlessly, needs a few more days between pickings. The shorter days are slowing it down. Unlike in the spring where things start slow and ramp up, the fall seems to just keep insisting on slowing you down. I can't say I mind that too much. That's one of the true joys I have found in this new career, being in touch with the rhythms and cycles of the seasons, it feel right.

Harvest

Rainbow Chard



In the harvest bins this week: Tomatoes, Arugula, Chard, Squash, Peppers, Green Beans, Beets, Basil, Lettuce, Choi, Purslane and a few melons.











Beets, Red Ace below and Guardmark above



Sugar Baby Watermelon



Lots of Peppers

Tomatoes, Kellog's Breakfast, Zebra, Iron Lady, Eva Purple xBig Beef


Production and Distribution

I deliver twice a week to all 5 restaurants in DC. 
Logan Tavern loves the Purslane

















Delivery at The Pig
Fresh food at The Heights






















Cultivation and Maintenance

While the shorter days seem to be slowing some crops the weeds don't seem to mind at all. That or I've just gotten behind.  There was a lot of weeding and bed prep to do this week to make way for more fall crop successions.

Planting

 Here is the Kale that I transplanted last week with drip tape running along side. We had a pretty dry week so I have been irrigating all of these transplants and any seeding to give them a good start.

Direct seeded this week; more Carrots, Mustard Greens and Easter Egg Radishes.
Seeded Mustard Greens and Radishes this week

Eating Well

Some kind of sandwich at The Pig, possibly Brain?
With my lovely Arugula


Tomato Salad at Grillfish





This dish I actually got to try. It is house made pasta at Grillfish with my Baby Carrots, Baby Beets and Tomatoes. On the top is a foamed cheese. So fancy and oh so delicious. This really hit the spot on a late delivery day.




Puddy Time





It doesn't matter how much work I have to do, I can always count on finding Puddy passed out in the field at some point in the day. If it's hot she lays in the shade, if it's cool she warms herself in the sun. Above all she seems to prefer bare ground so that she can lay directly on the dirt.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback! Let me know what you liked about this entry or what you want to hear more about. Tell me what you're growing in your garden and which veggies you love the most. Anything goes!