email

Question for the farmer? Email esporch@yahoo.com

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

EatWell Natural Farm Week 27

It was a fun and productive week with amazing weather. Saturday I went to the Charles County Fair and met a few local farmers  and saw the prize winning pumpkin...

Charles County's blue ribbon pumpkin



Then last weekend I attended the Mother Earth News Fair where among lots of other things I got to sample a few tomato varieties and found some that I would like to try next year. 
Tomato Varieties at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange




Joel Salatin
I also got to see Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms give a talk on facing your fears as a a new farmer. He suggests just jumping off the cliff, that will give you all the momentum you need...




Harvest
In the harvest bins this week: Romaine and Red Sails Lettuce, Red Ace and Guardsmark Beets, Watermelon Radishes, Basil, Purslane, Lemon Grass, Arugula, Rainbow Chard, Green Beans, a handful of tomatoes, Red Russian Kale, and Tomatillos.
Romaine Lettuce


Red Ace Beets and Red Sails Lettuce

Watermelon Radish

Sweet Thai Basil and Purple Basil


Production and Distribution


Watermelon Radishes get bunched and washed outside


Lemon Grass
Lemon Grass gets peeled and the tops cut off 
Purslane gets rinsed and drips dry

Purslane and Lemon Grass ready to go












Cultivation and Maintenance


Red Sails Lettuce and Purslane





Weeding, weeding, weeding... Although Purslane is technically a weed I have been weeding around it to let it grow so that I can harvest it for Chef Del at Logan Tavern













Baby Arugula coming up

It was a pretty dry week so I had to irrigate the new plantings and transplants.















I am getting a new field started for next year and our neighbor came by and plowed it for me this week.

New field just plowed

Another angle of the new field


















Eating Well


Savory and delicious Shrimp & Scallops over wild mushroom risotto w/ Eatwell farm heirloom tomatoes at Grillfish

Puddy Time

Tilford spent some time with us at the farm

Bein cute.

This is how they ride in the truck to work


Baby Alpaca at Mother Earth


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback! Let me know what you liked about this entry or what you want to hear more about. Tell me what you're growing in your garden and which veggies you love the most. Anything goes!